Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why Dreams?

Today, I have decided to explain a bit about why we are tackling this myth together. Have researchers proven that dreams have symbolic meaning in real life?

Why not ask a different question? Why not tackle a myth that is featured in the news or is recreated on TV?

When seeing the list of myths in my Psychology class about Popular Myths in Human Behavior, the dreams myth caught my eye. The reason I am so interested in this myth, and hope that you are too, is the myth is so relatable to real life! So many cultures revere dreams in their religions or everyday life. For instance, in some Chinese cultures, dreams are all symbols: , as seen in this YouTube clip.

In my own life, I've experienced many dreams in which, in my waking life, I think, "Didn't I dream this?" or "Is God trying to talk to me through my dreams?" There are many questions I have pondered about dreams; they are fickle things. Now, let's get down to business to defeat this myth.

6 comments:

  1. Have you seen the movie Waking Life? It discusses a lot of the symbolic meaning in dreams and I think it might be a useful source to use for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm liking the ending line of your blog. When reading it I automatically sung the tune to "I'll make a man out of you" from Mulan. But besides that, your topic is so interesting. I love dreams and whenever I have them I always try to remember them before I start the day. I use to keep a dream journal but that quickly stopped. I don't know if I view dreams as symbolic or not but I do believe that dreams are sometimes heavily influenced by your own "real" life experiences. But, sometimes dreams are unpredictable and strange. I'm interested to see what kind of data you find on the subject. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of those people that can’t for the life of them remember their dreams. Right when I wake up, the dream is usually gone from my memory. I have even tried the whole dream journal thing to help better remember; no such luck. I am one person who doesn’t believe in this myth at all so reading your blog was very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a myth spread throughout my country. We, Chinese, always believe there must be some meaning in our dreams. And we called that superstition. Here is an interesting from my dad, my dad called me one day asking if my sister and I doing okay or not. I felt weird because he didn’t do that before. Afterwards, my mom told me that my dad dreamed of us for something bad. I asked my dad what he dreamed, but he didn’t tell me because we think once we say it loud, the dream will come true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your personal story, Kennis. It is fascinating how an entire culture sees the dreaming as symbolic. It is the same in my own culture, Mexican-American.

    ReplyDelete